The first joint PES-American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) Pakistan Chapter regional CME Punjab held on 02 May, 2015 at Ramada Hotel, Multan. This three hour session was approved by PMDC through University of Health Sciences, Lahore for CME credits and attended by more than 375 general physicians with active participation and deliberation.
After Tilawat-e-Quran, Dr Saeed A Mahar, President Pakistan Endocrine Society addressed the audience and apprised them of the mission and vision of PES. He informed the audience of PES’s whole year planned regional, mid-summer and annual CMEs. He congratulated the Punjab Chapter of PES for mobilizing General Physicians in such large numbers. He also highlighted that this was the first CME jointly held with AACE Pakistan Chapter and promised many such high quality CMEs in days yet to come. He strongly urged the audience to register for the upcoming mid-summer Endocrine update summit being held May 29-31, 2015 at Bhurban, accredited for 4 PMDC approved CMEs by University of Health Sciences, Lahore. With 6 international speakers and a lively scientific program, the mid-summer is bound to be of interest to general physicians and endocrinologists alike.
Subsequently, Dr S Abbas Raza, President AACE Pakistan Chapter shared the aims and objectives of the newly formed AACE Pakistan chapter and its commitment to serve as advisory body to PES. He also mentioned that AACE Pakistan chapter provides a unique opportunity to link PES to the global endocrine community. He envisioned a strong and productive collaboration between PES and AACE Pakistan Chapter. He also informed the audience about the AACE Symposium being held at the mid-summer Endocrine Updates with international speakers and topics including international AACE guidelines and updates.
- Dr. Saeed A Mahar, begins the session with a very comprehensive talk on “Management of diabetes mellitus with newer therapies”. While talking on the topic, he has highlighted new therapies which can be used in management of diabetes mellitus more effectively and efficiently.
- This was followed by a very interesting and enlightening talk by Dr Ali Jawa titled “Evaluation of a child with short stature”. Audience were provided with growth charts and guided on how to plot correctly and interprete results.
- Finally, Dr. Faisal Masood Qureshi held a talk on “Andropause” with all the latest updates and recommendations about accurate diagnosis and management of Andropause.
- Afterwards, a very lively Question and Answer session was held with audience given the opportunity to ask questions to the experts.
- In the end, Professor Ijaz Hussain Malik, HOD Medicine Nishtar Hospital, Multan gave his closing remarks. He appreciated the efforts of Pakistan Endocrine Society in holding regular CMEs at Multan. He was of the opinion that these periodic CMEs in Punjab is a good omen and has helped raised the standard of care among the general physicians. He was very appreciative of the accreditation of PMDC approved CME through UHS and urged PES to hold many more such events.
- Prof Ijaz H Malik presented mementos to all the speakers. Prof Abdul Hameed in turn presented a token of appreciation to the Chief Guest on behalf of PES and AACE Pakistan Chapter
- All the participants highly appreciated the content of the program with all the latest updates and new techniques to manage their patients with varying complications. PES committee also shared their upcoming programs and cordially invited all participants to attend these mega events.
- This CME activity was sponsored through an unrestricted grant by PES Corporate Member Novo Nordisk Pharma.